Wavy is Home!

by Equestriangradstudent

I’m finally writing about this. I guess it hasn’t been that long, but it feels like forever. But it’s all oaky, because my darling, sweet Avery is home!

When we went cross country schooling (July 24th), Avery got kicked. He broke his left hind lateral splint bone and had to go to Virginia Tech for surgery. I finally got to bring him home last night. We got back around nine and I had to medicate him after he settled in, which is why I didn’t write this last night.

Avery has had some bad luck lately. First the fibromyalgia, then this. Poor guy.

The worst part of this was that it was caused by Jordyn’s and Savannah’s laziness. Avery was living outside and his pasture-mates rotated for day and night. At night he was out with his charming sister Abigail. During the day, he went out with Chloe and Shadow, Jordyn’s two horses. When we went cross country schooling, we left on Tuesday evening. Since Abs wasn’t there, Jordyn and Savannah decided to leave Shadow and Chloe out overnight so they wouldn’t have as many stalls to clean. That meant feeding them in the pasture with Avery. We hadn’t been feeding any of them together because the girls had stalls to eat in and Avery could eat by himself while the others ate in their stalls. It had been working quite nicely, but of course Jordyn had to mess with the balance we had going.

Shadow is just about as evil as Abs, so I’m betting she was the one who kicked him. It must have happened when they fed in the evening. Not only did Savannah and Jordyn leave the mares out, but they fed two hours early and then left to meet boys at Walmart. They also decided to sleep in the next morning and didn’t feed until eight. We’re supposed to feed at six and six, so the horses eat twelve hours apart. Instead, they ate at four and eight, so there was an extra four hours between feedings.

I got a text at nine on Wednesday morning saying that Avery had a cut and was limping so they brought him up to the barn. I asked for a picture and more details and Jordyn immediately got defensive and sent several texts saying that she didn’t have time to send pictures because she wasn’t done feeding. At the time I was in the truck with Jess, so I shared the conversation with her. She was shocked that they weren’t done feeding. We slowly extracted more information from Jordyn and sent her a treatment plan based on the information we got (which did not include a picture). That afternoon she sent another text saying that Avery was laying down, sweating and panting, and she had called the vet.

To make everything worse, the vet she called was a complete idiot. He was primarily a small animal vet. By Jordyn’s report, he poked the cut a couple of times and then slapped ichthammol on it, wrapped it with vet wrap and told the girls to leave him in the stall for a couple days. As soon as Jess and I got back we unwrapped it, washed it and called a different vet. She couldn’t come out until the next morning, so I spent a sleepless night checking on my horse every twenty minutes. was much better. She took x-rays, identified the fracture and called Virginia Tech so we could get him up there for surgery. She definitely made me think the worst, but at least she knew enough to get Avery on the right path. If I had followed the other vet’s instructions I probably wouldn’t have Avery right now.

I ended up spending the night at Virginia Tech because Avery wasn’t scheduled for surgery until the next morning. I stayed in a hotel, but still didn’t get any sleep that night. I got to hang out with him for a couple of hours in the morning while the vet students did their rounds. When the anesthesiologist came by, I had to leave. I was debating staying until the surgery was over, but I had Nate and Kyle coming down to shoe horses so I had to head back to the farm. That may have been the longest drive I’ve ever done, and it was only an hour and a half.

During the time he was there, I kept myself busy. I didn’t sleep very well, but I wasn’t as much of a wreck as I thought I would be. But he’s home now, so everything is good!I slept much better last night.

He is going to be on stall rest for the rest of the month, then he can have short supervised turnouts by himself, then start going out longer and going for hand walks. The vets said that they thought he could go back into full work as long as we do it carefully and slowly!

His pills, though. Those are going to drive me insane. Have you ever had to medicate a horse with twenty-five pills three times a day? Any tips for a picky eater who won’t take a syringe?

This morning I ended up wearing most of his meds because he knows he’s taller than I am. On the bright side, he’s feeling strong enough on that leg to run backwards away from a syringe!